Liver cancer treatment hospitals in india _ metastatic liver cancer – manipal hospitals
Liver cancer is cancer that begins in the cells of your liver, the largest organ of your body that is placed in the upper right portion of your abdomen, beneath your diaphragm and above your stomach.
The most common form of liver cancer is hepatocellular carcinoma, which begins in the main type of liver cell (hepatocyte). Ct scan sinus how long does it take Other types of cells in the liver can develop cancer, but these are much less common.
Hepatectomy is the surgery used to treat liver cancers.
What is head ct scan The extent of the hepatectomy depends on the size, number, and location of the cancer, and your overall health condition. Ct scan radiology The surgeon may remove a part of the liver that contains the tumor, an entire lobe, or an even larger portion of the liver. Ct or cat scan definition In a partial hepatectomy, the surgeon leaves a margin of healthy liver tissue to maintain the functions of the liver. Cost of ct scan abdomen and pelvis If a total hepatectomy, meaning that the patient’s entire liver is removed, is performed, a liver transplantation is indicated. Ct scan patient teaching The removed liver is replaced with a healthy liver from a donor. Chest ct scan with contrast heart A liver transplant is an option only if the cancer has not spread outside the liver and only if a suitable donor liver can be found that matches the patient. Understanding ct scan While waiting for an adequate donor, the health care team monitors the patient’s health while providing other therapy.
• Your doctor will explain the surgical procedure to you. How to perform ct scan Ask any questions that you might have about the procedure – if you will need a partial or a complete hepatectomy; whether you are a candidate for laparoscopic hepatectomy; etc.
• If you have to undergo liver transplant, discuss the pros and cons of the procedure and the modifications you will need to make in your lifestyle post the transplant.
• Ask your doctor if you will possibly need a blood transfusion. Ct scan method If the doctors think a transfusion might be needed, you might be asked to donate blood beforehand.
• Your doctor will go through your full medical history and additionally may perform a complete physical examination to ensure you are in good health before undergoing the procedure. What is a ct scan uk You may undergo blood tests or other diagnostic tests.
• Notify your doctor if you have a history of bleeding disorders or if you are taking any anticoagulant (blood-thinning) medications, aspirin, or other medications that affect blood clotting. Introduction to ct scan It may be necessary for you to stop these medications prior to the procedure.
• It is important that your bowels be empty when the surgery is performed. Ct and cat scan the same thing You must follow your doctor’s instructions on dietary changes and liquid intake on the days leading up to surgery.
• The surgery will be performed while you are asleep under general anesthesia. Frontal sinus ct scan The anesthesiologist will continuously monitor your heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, and blood oxygen level during the surgery.
• Partial hepatectomy – The surgeon will make an incision below the ribcage, across the right side of the upper abdomen. What is a ct scanner An ultrasound device is used to find the liver tumor(s). Ct scan of the heart The diseased portion of the liver is then removed, along with some adjoining healthy liver tissue.
• Laparoscopic hepatectomy – This is a minimally invasive procedure, wherein the surgeon makes a number of small incisions (rather than one large incision as with open liver resection). Cost of ct scan with contrast A needle is inserted to expand the abdomen with carbon dioxide gas to allow room for instruments to be inserted. Ct scan sections Your surgical oncologist uses specialized instruments, including a small telescope with a camera attached, to visualize the abdominal cavity and to remove sections of the liver that are cancerous.
• Liver transplant – During liver transplant surgery, your diseased liver is removed and replaced with a healthy liver from a donor. Explain ct scan Liver transplant surgery is only an option for a small percentage of people with early-stage liver cancer.
You will spend 5–10 days in hospital after a partial hepatectomy, and up to three weeks in hospital following a transplant. What is an ct scan If you have a laparoscopy, the recovery time is shorter – you should allow about one week to recover before returning to your usual activities.
After the surgery you will be taken to the recovery room for observation. Ct scan abdomen fasting The staff will monitor your blood pressure, pulse, alertness, pain or comfort level, and your need for medications and give you medicine for pain. Head ct scan radiation exposure When they are sure that you are stable, you will be transferred to a room in the hospital.
Different tubes will be in place to drain post-operative fluids, urine and bile. Ct scan abdomen and pelvis with contrast You will also have a drip (intravenous tube) giving you fluids and nourishment, as you may not be able to eat or drink for a few days. What does a ct scan with dye show When you are able to eat, you will be given clear fluids at first, and then solid foods.
Although deep breathing and coughing may be painful because the incision is close to the diaphragm, breathing exercises are important to prevent pneumonia. Does a chest ct scan show the esophagus You will probably feel quite tired and weak after the operation, but this should improve within a few weeks.
You will encouraged and helped by the nursing staff to get out of bed on the first or second day after your operation and help you start walking soon after this.
Once you are home, it is important to keep the surgical area clean and dry. Abdominal ct scan shows Your doctor will give you specific bathing instructions. Ct scan of the head The stitches or surgical staples will be removed during a follow-up hospital visit.
Notify your doctor to report any of the following: Fever; redness, swelling, bleeding, or other drainage from the incision; increased pain near the incision; and numbness and/or tingling sensation at the surgical site.
You will have to avoid contact sports, heavy lifting or any other strenuous exercise that may put pressure on your abdomen. Cost of brain ct scan If you must pick something up, bend with your knees, not your waist: stoop to pick up the item. What does a ct scan of kidneys show Avoid driving till you are on pain medication. What is a ct scan for lungs Your doctor might suggest some other activity restrictions.
Your dietician will advise you on the diet, if there are any changes. What is a ct heart scan with calcium scoring You will generally be advised to avoid foods that cause gas or constipation. Brain ct scan cost in chennai Increase roughage in your diet. Ct scan nad Drink plenty of fluids and pass urine regularly; this will help look after your liver. Ct scan pics Avoid alcohol for at least one month and only drink alcohol in moderation after this time. What is a ct scan test If you have cirrhosis, you must not consume any alcohol. What is an ct scan used for Your medical team will talk to you about this.
Recovery time after this type of surgery varies but generally you should feel improvements from between 2 to 3 weeks. How to ct scan This may take longer where the surgery has been more complex. Why would someone need a ct scan The wound may be sore for this time and can take up to 8 weeks to heal fully.
The liver can repair itself easily if it is not damaged. What are the risks of a ct scan In partial hepatectomy, the portion of the liver that remains after resection will start to grow, even if up to three-quarters of it is removed. Maxillary sinus ct scan The liver will usually be back to normal size within a few months, although its shape may be slightly changed.
If you have a liver transplant, it may take 3–6 months to recover. About ct scan You will probably find it takes a while to regain your energy. Iv for ct scan You will also be given medications to reduce the chance of infection and stop the body rejecting the new liver (immunosuppressants). Ct scan cancer You will need to take immunosuppressants for the rest of your life.
Walking will help your general recovery by strengthening your muscles, maintaining your blood circulation (thus preventing blood clots), and helping your lungs remain clear. Ct scan application However, you need to check with your doctor before you start lifting weights or doing abdominal exercises after your surgery to reduce your risk of complications.